Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Navigating to Dotonbori 道頓堀 & Namba 難波

Let me reminisce today so I can escape the world of work, chores, family drama and boring life....

今回の旅行の highlight は道頓堀と難波でした。Or let me say, one of the highlights of our most recent trip was Dotonbori and Namba. We went back  at least 2 full days and maybe half another day. Coming from Hattori 服部, we took the Hankyu阪急 to Umeda 梅田(another favorite place of mine), walked past the new and beautiful JR station, to the Midosuji line 御堂筋線 。From Umeda to Namba which I believe was only 230 円 (安い!), was stop M20. Easy peezy. Even a 外人can understand that!! Everything is said and written in English too, making it very easily. The only difficult thing might be navigating between the Hankyu and Midosuji Subway as well as getting on the right Platform. You could easily be on the wrong side of the platform going the opposite direction if you're not careful. 

Before coming to Japan I had this preconceived notion that I would not be able to navigate the train system and subways. Now that I look back, that was silly of me. All the times I followed my mother or aunts through the subways and transfers, I always felt so overwhelmed like I could easily get lost. But because I had to do it for myself and my  husband for the first time, I was extra aware of my surroundings. Lo and behold, it was not as daunting as I expected!! Everything was written in English and all the signs and maps were easy to understand. Really. You don't have to be able to read かんじ which I have minimal knowledge of. 

So don't be afraid!! Just go out and be adventurous. It is honestly the best way to see a city. Get lost. It really does height senses and makes for some great discoveries. One thing I love about my husband is he's adventurous. Whenever we go on a new vacation, we always take trains or drive somewhere unknown to explore. I usually am tedious with my vacation research and have all our itinerary down to the nitty-gritty, but sometimes it's refreshing to not have a plan and just explore. Just let loose and discover. We discovered some amazing pizza in New York doing that last year.....just saying.

But thank goodness for technology. We were fortunate this time around to have our iPhones with wireless hotspot (pocket wifi) so we could easily look up directions or where trains stations were in case we got too lost. I would say from Hattori to Namba, without waiting too long for trains (maybe 2-3 minutes), took about 40 minutes on a regular weekday.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment